Harper could be savior for Nats

Harper, 17, could bring baseball back to D.C. Photo courtesy SI.com.

While counting down the days until Stephen Strasburg’s first start for the Washington Nationals, D.C. should be looking forward to the 2010 MLB Draft for one reason: Bryce Harper.

Deemed as ‘Baseball’s Chosen One’ by Sports Illustrated and compared to have the same impact as Lebron James of the Cleveland Cavaliers, Harper will be the Nats’ top priority in June.  Perhaps being the worst team in baseball for two straight seasons will pay off, as two future phenoms are set to take over the franchise and possibly the rest of the MLB.

The Nats, once again, have the first overall pick in the draft. Harper dropped out during his junior year of high school in order to receive his GED at the College of Southern Nevada, making him eligible for the upcoming draft.    

When looking at Harper’s resume, all that comes to mind is amazement.  He’s 6 foot 3 inches, accompanied by a 205 pound frame.  And he’s only 17.  He can throw a 96 mph fastball and can hit as far as 570 feet. Harper’s primary position is catcher, which the Nats could take advantage of, considering their current catcher, Ivan Rodriguez, is close to retirement.

As for how Harper fits in to the Nats’ future, he comes at a perfect time during the rebuilding process of the young franchise.  The Nationals have found a way to a winning record and the team is showing improvement in all aspects of the game.  Strasburg is set to be called up to the majors sometime around June, giving the fans another reason to be excited for the future.         

Being that Harper is just 17 years old, he will likely wait two or three years before being called up to the majors.

The Nats already have Strasburg to lead the team, but Harper could be the key to rejuvenating baseball in a city that has consistently seen the worst players in the league.