The “not milk” generation: How Gen Z prompted milk’s rebrand
A piece of our history: A look into the Montgomery Farm Women’s Co-operative Market
LIVE: Baseball takes on Richard Montgomery in home opener
Coach Manon achieves 200 wins and state championship in a thrilling wrestling season
Overtime Elite: A new wave of professional basketball
Proposed bill will guarantee top 10% of Maryland students to 12 Maryland universities

March 21, 2024

Vegetarian alternatives for Thanksgiving

Eric Pancer

When the word Thanksgiving comes to mind, we’re reminded of familial gatherings and fall leaves scattered along neighborhood streets. Undoubtedly, we also remember the centerpiece of the feast: the crispy, juicy turkey.

The turkey completes the theme of Thanksgiving and adds to the holiday’s festivity. But what about the vegetarians who shudder at the thought of eating meat? Can they partake in the same pleasure of those typical Thanksgiving dishes? Of course.

Several other dishes can replace the traditional turkey. One that you’ve probably heard of, tofurky, is made solely out of soy and wheat proteins. Most tofurky, not including stuffed tofurky, takes about two hours in the oven—less than the at least three hours required for a real bird. There is no need to worry about where to find this special treat: just go to your local Giant or Whole Foods.

To spice up your tofurky, add stuffing of any type. One way to stuff your faux-bird would be to use the included stuffing that usually comes as a side, along with croutons and raisins. If you’re feeling adventurous, consider adding celery and onions, or the more unique options of carrots and garlic.

But remember, you’re the one cooking, so be sure to make something that you’ll enjoy eating, too. If you’re a vegetarian but don’t dig the tofu, don’t feel inclined to serve tofurky. Try something different like homemade mac and cheese or even eggplant parm.

If you’re interested in making mac and cheese, the preparation time is half of what it takes to cook tofurky. You can pick up ingredients at your local Giant or Walmart. You’ll need elbow noodles, a can of evaporated milk, Velveeta cheese, butter and milk.

Does eggplant parm sound appetizing? If so, you’ll be happy to know that it only takes about an hour to prepare. The ingredients you’ll need include eggplant, egg, milk, bread crumbs, marinara sauce and cheese.

Maybe in the end, you’ll decide to just stick with the sides.

Whatever you choose to cook or not cook, just know that while food can bring us together, it’s not about what you eat, but rather the company that you keep.