LIVE: Boys volleyball takes on Walter Johnson

Homecoming fashion tips

Homecoming is one of the biggest events in a high school student’s life, and this year is no exception.  Whether you’re on a budget or willing to spend extravagantly, you’ll be able to look your best with these tips.

Photo courtesy of forever21.com
Photo courtesy of forever21.com

The Dress:

This year is all about simplicity.  Who needs a flashy, glittery dress when you can look classy in a simple, flattering dress?  However, if you’re feeling the need to stand out, try finding a simple silhouette in a vibrant color.  The combination of simplicity and color are sure to make you stand out.

The Shoes:

The perfect thing to compliment your simple dress is a pair of fabulous heels.  This year, stores are packed with unique, detailed shoes that are guaranteed to draw some attention.   When shopping, keep in mind these three styles: the bootie, the cage and the platform.  You can also turn up the volume on your simple dress by choosing a pair of heels in an unlikely color, like berry or red.

The Purse:

Photo courtesy of lulus.com
Photo courtesy of lulus.com

No one likes to carry around a big purse on homecoming; it distracts from your carefully planned outfit.  At the dance, a girl’s best friend is the clutch.  It’s stylish, chic and just big enough to hold your makeup and cell phone.  To keep your look consistent, match your clutch to your shoes or any other accessories you may be rocking.

The Hair:

Your hair should reflect your personality.  If you’re laid back, wear it down.  If you’re more organized and put together, try a simple up-do.  Whatever you do, stay away from elaborate hair designs.  You will never be able to live down the faux-hawk.

The Jewelry:

Your jewelry should be harmonious with the rest of your look; that means no chunky necklaces, gaudy earrings or obnoxious bangles.  You want to accent your dress, not overshadow it.  Try classics, like pearl earrings or a simple pendant necklace.

Stores to check out:

www.nordstrom.com– higher priced dresses and shoes

www.forever21.comaffordable dresses, shoes, jewelry and accessories

www.lulus.com– adorable dresses, shoes and accessories, price ranges from cheap to expensive