LIVE: Boys volleyball takes on Walter Johnson
Track and field competes against Walter Johnson and Winston Churchill
Baseball triumphs over Churchill 4–6
Girls tennis defeats Churchill; boys tennis falls
Boys volleyball falls to Northwest 3–1
Clarksburg High School junior Praneel Suvarna wins 2024-2025 SMOB election

Ways to help the environment, not only on Earth Day

As the state of the Earth arguably deteriorates, the global campaign to “Go Green” continues to gain strength and momentum.

On Earth Day, April 22, people all over the world are stepping up to the challenge of helping to make the world a better place, and the Whitman community is no exception.

Here are some simple, yet effective ways to you can become involved in the fight to help save our environment.

1. Turn It Off

Saving energy and reducing the emissions of greenhouse gases is as easy as unplugging your cell phone charger when the device is tucked away safely in your pocket.

When you walk out of a room, switch every light off on your way out. Another easy tip: use power strips for multiple electronic devices such as TV and DVD players. That way, you only need to press one button to turn off everything.

2. Use Water Efficiently

A family of four uses 400 gallons of water every day according to the Environmental Protection Agency. In just a few easy steps, you could decrease that amount and save water for future generations.

First, don’t let the water run while brushing your pearly whites. Also, opt for a short shower instead of lounging for hours in the tub. Using less water by taking a shower means using less energy to heat the water.

3. Save Paper

By remembering that there are two sides to a piece of paper, you’ll effortlessly reduce your paper consumption by 50 percent!

Unless absolutely necessary, avoid using paper. Opt for email, a much more environmentally-friendly option.

Follow the golden rule: think before you print. Pushing the print button is too easy. Before you click the mouse, ask yourself, “Do I really need this?”

4. Reuse

Before you throw anything away, pause for a minute and let the creative juices flow through your mind. Any item can be reused. For example, ever since the iPod was invented, CDs sit unused on shelves. But not many people know that CDs make great coasters.