The “not milk” generation: How Gen Z prompted milk’s rebrand
A piece of our history: A look into the Montgomery Farm Women’s Co-operative Market
LIVE: Baseball takes on Richard Montgomery in home opener
Coach Manon achieves 200 wins and state championship in a thrilling wrestling season
Overtime Elite: A new wave of professional basketball
Proposed bill will guarantee top 10% of Maryland students to 12 Maryland universities

March 21, 2024

Fashion show dazzles with Aurora Borealis-theme

The northern lights danced across the stage during the Aurora Borealis-themed fashion show Friday night. The stage was transformed into a full winter wonderland as music from the Disney movie “Frozen” played in the background and pine trees decorated the runway.

Photo by Nick Anderson.
Junior Mia Carmel poses in a dress made by seniors Meredith Spencer and Amanda Azmi. Photo by Nick Anderson.

The Fashion Society’s event showcased a variety of looks from 16 different sophomore, junior and senior designers. Highlights of the show included a tie-dye line by junior Chelsea Marcus, a Disney line by junior Lex Payne and a denim-inspired collection by senior Zoe Gavil. Seniors Abraar Ahmad and Kourosh Ashtary-Yazdi were MCs for the show. Student models and designers worked together the entire year to put on a show that was as dazzling as the northern lights themselves. Although it looked easy, preparations for the show had both the models and designers stressed. Many models were scared of falling in their heels on stage. Luckily, the rehearsals helped to make the show run more smoothly. They also weren’t a big time commitment, which was helpful for everyone involved, because students were busy making final touches on their designs. “When you’re finally making it, you realize all the work that goes into it,” senior Julia Bromberg said.

Junior Sara Schlesinger models a tie-dye dress designed by junior Chelsea Markus. Photo by Nick Anderson.

The designers dedicated many hours to make sure their lines came out exactly as they wanted. Some designers even took extra sewing classes to perfect their skills while working on their collections. “The girls that do this show are spending hours—I would say a hundred hours easily—on planning and designing,” Fus said. The designers had to sketch, sew, purchase fabric, and fit the models during the entire year, so that the end product could be something they were proud of. “I did my line throughout the year, so that was really helpful for my models as well because it took stress off of them,” sophomore Kaelyn Petrides said. There was a large turnout at the show, as many friends and families came out to support the designers and the models. All proceeds from the event will go towards next year’s show. “It’s really great when people come and really appreciate what the designers put their whole year into,” Brach said.

Fashion Show Video for B&W 2 from B&W Multimedia on Vimeo. Multi-media by Taameen Mohammad, Sam Berman and Rachel