Senior Becca Kohn hands the President 1.1 million signatures in support of healthcare reform

President Obama speaks at an event by Organizing for America, the grassroots organization that gathers support for his agenda. Photo by Becca Kohn.

Between classes hallways are often filled with the sounds of heated political discussion. At a school so close to D.C., students love to talk about the latest public policy news. But senior Becca Kohn was tired of simply talking about the issues.

After interning for Organizing for America for two years, Kohn was chosen to present 1.1 million signatures in support of the healthcare bill to President Obama himself two weeks ago.

Kohn’s political involvement began in 2008, when she started working as an intern for the Bethesda office of the Obama campaign. She then transitioned to Organizing for America, a grassroots organization that works to garner public support for Obama’s agenda.

Kohn explains that she now works under the director of the Maryland chapter. Her main responsibilities include organizing phone banks and town hall meetings to inform communities about Obama’s agenda and encourage them to discuss policy decisions.

Last week, all of Kohn’s hard work paid off. Kohn received a call informing her that she would be meeting the President along with a Virginia public school teacher to present the public petition in support of the healthcare bill.

Kohn said that she couldn’t believe it, and went to her friend’s house to get ready for the next day, but nothing could prepare her for the face-to-face meeting.

“I was shocked,” she said. “As soon as he walked in I started crying. Then he hugged me, and I cried harder.”

But Kohn said that meeting the President wasn’t the biggest payoff of her efforts.

“I’m just glad that I decided to get involved,” she said. “Even though I’m still in high school, I can make a difference. I can organize phone banks and town halls. I can fight for what I believe in.”