Whitman hosts first LASJ Social Justice Fair on April 13
Baseball narrowly defeats Churchill 10–9
Track impresses at Northern Virginia Invitationals
Boys and girls tennis competes against Wooton in fifth match of the season
Girls lacrosse demolishes Wheaton 19–2
Baseball dominates Wootton 8–2

Baseball dominates Wootton 8–2

Bdubbs Bakes: Chocolate Raspberry Lava cakes

Made with silky chocolate and oozing with sweet raspberries, these chocolate lava cakes may not be very tall, but they are dark and handsome. Whether you are sharing them with that special someone on your date or just indulging yourself while you watch The Notebook, they’re the perfect Valentine’s Day treat.

Ingredients:

1 stick unsalted butter, plus melted butter for brushing

Raspberry lava cakes are a perfect Valentine's Day treat. Whether you're spending the day with a special someone or enjoying a Nicholas Sparks marathon, these decadent cakes are a must for the holiday. Photo by Sarah Barr Engel.
Raspberry lava cakes are a perfect Valentine’s Day treat. Whether you’re spending the day with a special someone or enjoying a Nicholas Sparks marathon, these decadent cakes are a must for the holiday. Photo by Sarah Barr Engel.

1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder

1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour

6 ounces dark chocolate (70 percent cacao), chopped

16 fresh raspberries

4 teaspoons seedless raspberry preserves

1/2 cup granulated sugar

3 large eggs, at room temperature

Pinch of salt

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 425°. Brush four 6-ounce ramekins with melted butter.
  2. In a small bowl, whisk together the cocoa powder and 1 tablespoon of the flour. Then dust the ramekins with the cocoa mixture, tapping out the excess.
  3. In a medium saucepan, melt 1 stick of butter with the chocolate over very low heat, stirring occasionally. Let cool slightly.
  4. In a small bowl, coarsely mash the raspberries with the seedless raspberry preserves.
  5. Using an electric mixer, beat the granulated sugar with the eggs and salt at medium-high speed until thick and pale yellow, about 3 minutes.
  6. Using a rubber spatula, fold in the melted chocolate until no streaks remain. Fold in the 1/4 cup of flour.
  7.     Spoon two-thirds of the batter into the prepared ramekins, then spoon the raspberry filling on top. Cover with the remaining chocolate batter.
  8.     Bake in the oven for 16 minutes, until the tops are cracked but the centers are still slightly gooey. Transfer the ramekins to a rack and let cool for 5 to 8 minutes.
  9.     Run the tip of a small knife around each cake to loosen. Invert a small plate over each cake and flip over. Carefully lift off the ramekins. Dust the warm cakes with cocoa powder and garnish with raspberries and serve immediately.

Recipe Courtesy Grace Parisi (foodandwine.com)