Ice hockey shuts out B-CC on senior night, 4-0

Defenceman Wyatt Hughes takes a shot on senior night. The Vikes defeated B-CC 4-0. Photo courtesy Tammy Hughes.

The ice hockey team made the most out of its senior night, defeating B-CC 4-0 in the last game before playoffs.

After the game, the Vikes’ record improved to 8-3-1 while the Barons’ record fell to 1-8-3.

While the underclassmen played a big role, the game belonged to the seniors.

“Senior night was great,” captain Ethan Weintraub said. “There was an impressive turn out and we won.”

Senior Jeff Marr, who plays forward for the team, continued his strong play of late, starting off the scoring for the Vikes with a goal just over three minutes into the first period.

Forward Sam Dexter, a freshman, extended the Viking lead in the second period with a goal of his own.

In the third period, after Marr’s second goal of the game, forward Daniel Clayton scored his first goal of the season and his career in a feel good moment for the senior.

The goal capped off the end of a strong game and a strong finish for the Vikings in the regular season.

The Vikings, who have won six of their last seven, are undefeated in 2014 and have high hopes for a long playoff run.

“To do well in the playoffs, we need to keep working hard and continue treating every game as if it were our last,” Weintraub said. “We also need to stay out of the penalty box if we want to beat Churchill and Wootton.”

The team’s next game is against Churchill in the regional semi-finals, Tuesday, Feb. 11.