New bullying policy attempts to highlight consequences

The MCPS BOE approved a new bullying policy that emphasizes its consequences March 9.

The new policy sets forth the BOE’s obligation to maintain a school environment free from “bullying, harassment, or intimidation” and directs schools to implement prevention and intervention programs.

The board took suggestions from local schools, especially in areas about staff training and notification of incidents, to incorporate into the policy.

“The board took action to send a clear, strong message that we are deeply committed to addressing concerns about bullying so all our students can feel safe in their learning environment,” said Shirley Brandman, chair of the Board’s Policy Committee, in the public announcement of the policy.

“We recognize this policy is just the first, but important, step to building a strong foundation that encourages our schools to recognize and respond appropriately whenever bullying occurs,” she said.

Principal Alan Goodwin doesn’t think the new policy will change current procedures much.

“They’ve strengthened the wording, but this policy is nothing new,” he said.

While Goodwin notes that bullying isn’t a large problem at Whitman, it’s still an important issue that needs to be dealt with.

“We try to get students together to talk about their issues, and usually, students will stop bullying once they’ve been reprimanded,” he said.

Health teacher Kristin Rudolph teaches a safety unit, which reviews the guidelines of harassment and bullying. She believes the new policy will serve an important part of the process.

“While all schools do take bullying seriously, this gives them specific guidelines for reporting the incident and recommending intervention,” Rudolph said.

Although Rudolph thinks the policy will bring some positive changes, she thinks it’s too vague.

“It does have the potential to make a difference, but it’s really a school-to-school and case-by-case basis.”