Varsity Football Falls Short Against Quince Orchard

Varsity Football lost to the Quince Orchard Cougars 24-20, Sept. 17, falling to 2-1 on the season.

After opening the scoring with a 70-yard touchdown pass from quaterback Henry Kuhn to Wide Receiver Rico Djidotor and then missing the extra point, the Vikings led 6-0 at the end of the first quater. In the second, the boys traded scores with the Cougars and went into halftime down 17-14.

At the beginning of the second half, the Vikes came out ready to play, shutting out the Cougars in the third quarter while posting another six points on Kuhn’s third touchdown pass of the night.

In the fourth, the boys had Quince Orchard in a tight spot, up 20-17, on fourth and 13 at the Whitman 24 yard line. Although the Cougars could have attempted a long field goal to tie the game, they elected to go for it, throwing deep to the corner of the endzone. While the ball was in the air, a Viking cornerback jumped up to swat at the ball , but knocked the Cougar receiver to the ground in the process while another Viking batted the ball down. Although the play looked clean and the ball was clearly uncatchable, the referees threw a late and quite controversial flag for pass interference, giving the Cougars a first and goal situation from which they eventually scored.

Down by four and needing a touchdown, the Vikes marched down the field in the last three minutes of the game, mounting what felt like a sure comeback. But, with 30 seconds left, Kuhn threw an interception off of a tipped pass from a Viking receiver, and the Cougars kneeled the ball to run down the clock for the win. 

Although the Vikings lost in heartbreaking fashion, they still put up a great game against the number eight PostRanked team in the state, proving that their win over Northwest was no fluke and reinforcing hope for a strong season.

Kuhn and wide receiver Michael Flack showed off what is sure to become a dangerous tandem, connecting for two touchdowns through the air. Kuhn tied the varsity record for touchdown passes in a game with three, while the sophomore sensation Flack tied the record for touchdown receptions in a game with his two.

The Boys will travel to BCC next Friday, September 25, looking to improve to 3-1 over the currently 0-3 Barons.