Hurdler Entwistle advances to states

Entwistle, a sohpomore, was the only indoor athlete to make states. Photo by Peter Schalch

The indoor track team competed in the indoor regional finals, Feb 17. Among the many contenders, sophomore Madeleine Entwistle stood alone as the only Whitman runner to qualify for states.

Entwistle placed fifth out of 25 runners in the girls 55 meter hurdles with a time of 9.33 seconds. The top eight qualify, so she had secured a spot after her race.

“Regionals were a bit different for me this year,” Entwistle says. “It was at the Armory in Baltimore which has a different type of track that is not what usually is run on in indoors. The track was like a basketball court so everyone’s times were slower which made qualifying times slower.”

She claims she was pleased with her results, but knows she has work to do for states.

“I’m going to begin starting on blocks which will really help my time,” she says. “But this is my first time going to states and I’m really excited!”

In other events such as the girls 4×200 meter relay, Whitman placed sixth. Senior Rachel Osnos placed fifth for the girls high jump and junior Safoora Biglari placed eleventh in the girls 300 meter dash. On the boys side, senior John Son placed tenth in the boys 300 meter dash.