The “not milk” generation: How Gen Z prompted milk’s rebrand
A piece of our history: A look into the Montgomery Farm Women’s Co-operative Market
LIVE: Baseball takes on Richard Montgomery in home opener
Coach Manon achieves 200 wins and state championship in a thrilling wrestling season
Overtime Elite: A new wave of professional basketball
Proposed bill will guarantee top 10% of Maryland students to 12 Maryland universities

March 21, 2024

25 days of Christmas sweaters

ABC Family isn’t the only one celebrating the 25 days of Christmas.

Science teacher Sherri Gingrich wears a different Christmas sweater every day of the holiday season. Photos by Paula Ospina.

Every day from Black Friday to New Year’s Day, science teacher Sherri Gingrich wears a different holiday sweater. She owns enough sweaters to last her far beyond the holiday season, though, she said.

“It’s just something fun,” Gingrich said. “My children have to pay attention to me because I wear something different every day.”

Along with sweaters, Gingrich has 18 holiday hats, including some that sing and dance, and a whole jewelry box dedicated to holiday accessories. Most of her sweaters come from Target or Walmart, but she also looks on eBay, she said.

“You can find them here and there,” Gingrich said. “One of my students said he would get me a Hanukkah sweater and I really hope he does because I don’t have any of those.”

Principal Alan Goodwin visits Gingrich each morning to see what outfit she has on. Other staff members, like history teacher Andrew Sonnabend, also appreciate Gingrich’s holiday spirit.

“It isn’t the holidays without coming to school and seeing what sweater she has on,” Sonnabend said.

While pleasing her coworkers is a plus, students’ appreciation is what really drives Gingrich to don the sweaters each day. Her festive apparel and holiday enthusiasm increases student attention in class, she said.

“Her holiday sweaters are legendary,” said junior Kendall Eisenberg, a former student of Gingrich. “They’re the craziest holiday sweaters. In mid-January, I walk in on the first day of second semester and she’s still wearing a sweater even though Christmas is over.”

Gingrich developed a system to ensure that she never repeats a sweater. She takes all of her sweaters out on Black Friday and as she wears them, she puts them back in storage, Gingrich said.

Gingrich’s holiday spirit extends beyond her outfits. Her home is also decked out with seasonal decorations. She puts up holiday shower curtains, mistletoes and poinsettia rugs, Gingrich said. Most notable is her collection of 30 inflatable lawn ornaments.

“I have a redneck Santa theme,” she said. “I have Santa in a camper and Santa in an outhouse. I also made a runway scene. I’ve got Santa in a helicopter and an airplane. I made a landing strip out of lights and there’s a dump truck delivering presents to the runway.”

Gingrich’s inspiration stems from something bigger than a love for the Christmas season. Dressing up for the winter holidays, as well as school spirit days and Halloween, is part of her goal to show students that standing out can be fun, she said.

“I try to encourage all my students to have fun and dress up,” she said. “I want to show them that you can take chances, have a good time and that it’s okay to be different.”