LIVE: Boys volleyball takes on Walter Johnson

“Valentine’s Day” didn’t live up to the hype

Photo courtesy of imdb.com.

“Valentine’s Day” created a lot of hype with its large cast of stars, including Oscar winner Julia Roberts and teen werewolf Taylor Lautner.  Unfortunately, the numerous plot lines made for an over-complicated film and the attractive, star-studded cast proved to be the movie’s downfall.The romantic comedy, comparable to the 2003 film “Love Actually,” follows the relationships of different characters, whose lives are all intertwined, on Valentine’s Day.

For instance, Reed Bennett (Ashton Kutcher), a florist, proposes to his girlfriend (Jessica Alba), only to be dumped the same day and soon realizes that he’s actually in love with his best friend (Jennifer Garner), whose boyfriend (Patrick Dempsey) turns out to be married.

And that was just one story.  Alongside this romance came an old married couple, two sets of teenage couples, a single woman who despises Valentine’s Day and a new romance derailed by dishonesty.

Oh, wait.  There are also two strangers who meet on a plane, a football star dealing with the decision of retirement (and his sexuality) and a fifth-grader hoping to impress a classmate.

It’s just too much love and romance for one movie.  Almost each conflict immediately resulted in resolution, followed by a kiss and more than enough orchestral music, with little time for the audience to actually comprehend what exactly happened.

With that being said, the movie was still funny and cheesy enough to be entertaining.  Obscure details like Anne Hathaway’s character being an adult phone entertainer made the movie amusing.

The ending was fairly predictable, albeit with a few twists.  Although many moments were worthy of an eye roll, they still contributed to the overall “romantic comedy experience,” which is what you’re probably hoping to get from this movie.

Although it was cute and funny at times, “Valentine’s Day” did not live up to its expectations.

Click here to view the trailer.