The “not milk” generation: How Gen Z prompted milk’s rebrand
A piece of our history: A look into the Montgomery Farm Women’s Co-operative Market
LIVE: Baseball takes on Richard Montgomery in home opener
Coach Manon achieves 200 wins and state championship in a thrilling wrestling season
Overtime Elite: A new wave of professional basketball
Proposed bill will guarantee top 10% of Maryland students to 12 Maryland universities

March 21, 2024

Boys Soccer Falls in Double-Overtime

**By Connor Vergara**

Boys soccer fell to the Sherwood Warriors, 2-1, in double-overtime, Sept 9, dropping to 1-2-0.

The Vikings struck first, scoring a goal in the 21st minute of the first half when forward Sebastian Cahe crossed the ball from the right side to forward Scott Gerfen who tapped it in.

Only 18 seconds later, the Wariors responded with a goal of their own, tying the game at 1.

For the rest of the game, each team had plenty of scoring chances. With one minute left in the first half, midfielder Sam Lilek had a shot bounce off the crossbar.

Sherwood had many shots, but goalie Zach Khalifa came through with several key saves that kept the game tied.

Despite keeping possession for most of the game, the Vikes were unable to score before the end of regulation, forcing a sudden death overtime period.

The Vikings had even more scoring opportunities in overtime, including a shot from Jonny Mehrez that nearly passed by Sherwood goalie Drew Hock.

Neither team could generate a goal in the ten minute overtime, forcing another period to settle the game.

Three minutes into the second overtime, Sherwood won the game when forward Sergio Navarette received a cross and sent the ball inside the left post, just beyond Khalifa’s reach.

The Vikings, now 1-1 in overtime games, will play Wootton, who is 2-0-2, on Sept 15.