Bdubbs Bakes: Cinnamon rolls

It’s time to rock and (cinnamon) roll with this scrumptious mini-cinnamon roll recipe.

Photo by Julia Berard.

Ingredients:

Cinnamon rolls

• 1 cup whole milk
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast (1/2 package)
  • 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour (plus 1/4 cup)
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking powder (heaping)
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda (scant)
  • 1/4 tablespoon salt (heaping)
  • 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup melted butter
  • 2 teaspoons melted butter, for pans

Vanilla Frosting

• 1/2 pound powdered sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3 tablespoons whole milk
  • 2 tablespoons melted butter

Preparation:

1. Heat one-fourth cup vegetable oil, one cup whole milk and one-fourth cup sugar on medium heat until there are a few bubbles popping just below the surface. Remove from heat, and let cool until slightly warm after about fifteen minutes.
  2. Sprinkle one and one-fourth teaspoons active dry yeast on the surface of the milk mixture. Let sit for one minute.
  3. Add two cups and two tablespoons flour to the milk mixture. Cover with a clean kitchen towel, and set aside in a warm place for one hour.
  4. Then, add one-fourth teaspoon baking powder, one-fourth teaspoon baking soda, one-fourth tablespoon salt and one-fourth cup flour. Mix until combined. Refrigerate for one hour.
  5. Roll out the dough on a large, floured surface until it’s about one-half of a centimeter thick.
  6. Pour one-half cup melted butter over the rolled out dough, using a spatula to distribute it evenly.
  7. Sprinkle three-fourth cup sugar and two tablespoons cinnamon on top of the butter to taste.
  8. Starting with the side of the dough furthest from you, roll it towards you. Don’t worry if some of the filling oozes out; it just means the rolls will be more delicious after they’re baked.
  9. With a sharp knife, cut the cinnamon-sugary log into half-inch slices, and lay them in a buttered pan, about an inch apart.
  10. Let the rolls rise for thirty minutes.
  11. Bake for twenty minutes at 375 degrees until they are golden brown and cooked through.
  12. Make the icing by whisking together one-half pound powdered sugar, one teaspoon vanilla extract, three tablespoons whole milk and two tablespoons melted butter.
  13. Pour the frosting over the cinnamon rolls and enjoy!

Recipe adapted from ThePioneerWoman.com

[imagebrowser id=92]