Baseball falls to BCC 7–3 in the ultimate Battle of Bethesda
Boys volleyball falls to Walter Johnson 3–1
MCPS cancels bus tracking pilot app
Whitman hosts first International Night since COVID-19 pandemic
Boys lacrosse annihilates Blake 18–1
Girls lacrosse demolishes Blake 17–2

Girls lacrosse demolishes Blake 17–2

Boys lacrosse crushes Magruder, 20-3

The boys lacrosse team dominated the Magruder Colonels, 20-3, in its season opener Mar. 21.

A Magruder player picks up the ball while a Viking forward prepares for the check. Photo by Melissa Kantor.

The Vikes controlled the game from the start, scoring six goals on six shots in the first three minutes.  After that initial outburst, the Colonels switched goalies.

The game was a team effort, as many different team members contributed offensively. Attackman Trevor Hains led the charge, scoring seven goals, while midfielder Ryan Craig notched three.  Attackmen Daniel Karr and Jeff Marr each contributed two.  Attackman Christian Sanson, LSM Thomas Colton, midfielders Justin Lancellotta, Grant Miller and Dustin Gray and defender Ben Miltenberg each contributed a goal as well.

The defense didn’t see much action, but they shut down the Magruder offense the few times the ball was in their own end. Because of the team’s wide margin of victory, the Vikes are currently ranked 13th out of all Maryland public schools on LaxPower.

“It’s always nice to play an easy first game to raise confidence and allow every player to get game experience,” Hains said. “Playing Magruder was good practice for tough games like Sherwood and Churchill.”

A Whitman player and a Magruder player battle for control of the faceoff. Photo by Jeff Schaeffer.

The team looks to continue its win streak when it takes on the Sherwood Warriors March 23 at home.