LIVE: Boys volleyball takes on Walter Johnson

Schoolboy Q album showcases guest artists, producers

Schoolboy Q’s second full-length album, “Habits and Contradictions,” showcases his unique rhyme style and his superb eye for interesting beats.  The young Los Angeles rapper is quickly becoming one of hip-hop’s biggest underground stars. The album has received much critical success, even getting named “Best New Music” by Pitchfork Media.

Schoolboy Q showcases his skills at a show. The rapper recently released his second full-length album. Photo courtesy www.zoorge.blogspot.com.

The album also features fellow members from his “Black Hippy” crew, including AB Soul,  Kendrick Lamar and Jay Rock, alongside a few other notable rappers like Asap Rocky and Curren$y.

Throughout the album, Q raps his way over a wide array of styles and beats, from the telling of a murder scene in “Raymond 1969” to the poppy Asap Rocky collaboration, “Hands on the Wheel.”

Q shines well as a lyricist on his own, but the cameos and guest producers are really what make the album stand out. Some of the guest producers include Soundwave on “There He Go” and Dom Kennedy on “Grooveline Pt. 1.”

Overall, Schoolboy Q has released a strong album that solidifies his role in one of the best upcoming rap artists in recent years.