LIVE: Boys volleyball takes on Walter Johnson

Posner creates mixed tapes of popular songs

Mike Posner released two free mixed tapes on his website. Photo courtesy of djbooth.net.

Breaking into the music scene is Mike Posner, a senior at Duke University, who’s now a young singing talent bringing a new sound and genre to the music industry.

Posner’s history with music goes back to age 15 when he started playing the drums.  Last year, Posner took his talents from the drum set to the computer and began to mix his own music, creating two full mix tapes-combining various tracks together with new beats or lyrics.

Posner started off with his first mix tape, A Matter of Time in the beginning of 2009 with huge success. That same year he was discovered online by J Records and signed with them. Since signing, he’s recorded with big name artists such as Kid Cudi, Wale, Big Sean and Bun B.

His most famous piece yet is probably the remake of the chart-topping hit, “Don’t Trust Me,” by 3OH!3.  The mix, which features rapper Kid Cudi and is included on Posner’s second mix tape, One Foot Out the Door, plays around with the song’s traditional lyrics and back beats to create something almost unrecognizable from the original track.

Posner’s high-pitched voice goes well with the instrumental music in the background that adds to his futuristic techno style.

So want to check him out?  The best part about Posner is that his music is totally, and legally, free.  Because his songs have adult content that’s not necessarily radio appropriate, Posner instead released two free mix tapes on his website, www.mikeposner.com, in hope of attracting fans.