Guy Auction hopes to raise money through bidding on hot dates

Girls, start saving your money and get ready to place a bid on some of Whitman’s finest boys. It’s not your typical fundraiser. The SGA’s first annual Guy Auction will take place on Feb. 25 to raise money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.

Around 20 junior and senior boys, ranging from musicians to laxers, will be auctioned off for a wide variety of dates.

Junior Rachel Norris, who is in charge of planning the event, suggested the idea.

“We’ve spent a lot of time figuring out every little detail,” she says. “All proceeds go to research and we’re actually sponsoring a freshman, Tim King. He’s the rally point to encourage donations.”

In high hopes of raising money, Norris is working with the boys to plan their ideal date. Ranging from dinner and ice skating to music lessons, the boys are eager get high bids.

“They’re getting really into it and competing to see who can come up with the best date,” Norris says. “The guys are all trying their hardest to see who can raise the most money.”

Sophomore Sarah Backenstoe is working with Norris to plan the Guy Auction for Leukemia and Lymphoma month.

“The idea actually came from the ‘One Tree Hill’ episode where they have a boy auction,” she says. “We thought it would be something fun to try out.”

Senior Luke Rozansky will be auctioned off and encourages students to place bids. Rozansky wasn’t taken by surprise when he was chosen to participate and looks forward to raising money for a great cause.

“Besides my good looks,” he jokes, “I’m thinking about cooking the lucky person dinner at my place and we’ll make s’mores together by my fire pit for dessert. It’s just like a donation except you get a hot date.”

Like all of the other candidates, Rozansky is hoping for an extremely high bid.

“The more the person pays, the more expensive meal I will cook them,” he says.

Even if students aren’t interested in purchasing a date, the SGA is encouraging everyone to come and watch. There will be a small entrance fee of $3, but remember, it’s for a great cause.

Click here to watch the clip from “One Tree Hill” that inspired Whitman’s first Guy Auction.