LIVE: Boys volleyball takes on Walter Johnson

Boys Soccer Upsets Gonzaga

Varsity boys soccer edged out the Gonzaga Eagles, 1-0, in an overtime thriller, Sept 5, improving to 1-1-0.

Midway through the first half, defender Colin Epperson suffered a severe injury to his leg while trying to send the ball forward past a Gonzaga attack player. He was eventually taken off the field in an ambulance after breaking his tibia at the shin.

Despite losing one of their starting backs, the Vikings created many scoring opportunities, including a shot from midfielder Jonny Mehrez that came within inches of finding the back of the net early in the second half.

Defensively, the Vikes were led by goalkeeper Zack Khalifa and midfielder Dominick Yin. Khalifa provided 15 saves and held the Eagles scoreless for the entire game. Yin controlled the center of the field and distributed the ball nicely, setting up numerous chances for his teammates.

Although each team had numerous scoring possibilities, neither team could put a goal on the board, forcing an overtime period to determine the winner.

After Gonzaga committed one of its 14 penalties, forward Sebastian Cahe took a free kick to set up the game winning goal. Cahe sent the ball high into the air, allowing midfielder Jonny Mehrez to deflect the ball into the goal and end the game.

Despite the upset win being a momentum boost, it will not help the Vikings with their playoff seeding. The Vikes first regular season game is Sept 9 against the Sherwood Warriors at home.