Boys soccer defeats Gaithersburg, 6-1, advances to next round of playoffs

The boys soccer team dominated the 1-8-2 Gaithersburg Trojans, 6-1, Oct. 31, advancing to the second round of playoffs.

Forward Emmanuel Kanneh sprints past the diving Gaithersburg goalie on his way to scoring the Vikes' sixth goal of the night. The Vikes beat the Trojans, 6-1, to advance to the second round of playoffs. Photo courtesy Makoto Nakagawa.

Ten minutes into the game, centerback Spencer Meschter tallied the game’s first goal with a shot from in front of the net off a corner kick.  Twenty minutes later, Meschter scored once again from the same spot. While the Vikes generated a lot of offense and played a possession game, the half featured a lot of off-sides calls.

With two minutes left in the first half, a Trojan player evaded the Vikes’ defenders and scored in a one-on-one with goalkeeper Mark Cameron.

The Vikes came out rejuvenated in the second half and soon put their opponents away for good. About ten minutes in, forward Jordan Innerarity blasted a leading pass up to midfielder Sebastian Cahe, who drew the goalkeeper and shot into the left corner to put the Vikes up 3-1.

Six minutes later, Cahe scored again off a penalty shot.

With fifteen minutes left in the game, Cahe scored his third goal of the night off a cross-goal pass from Innerarity.

After numerous shots on goal and great saves by Gaithersburg’s goalkeeper, forward Emannuel Kanneh scored the Viking’s sixth goal of the night.

In addition to their offensive spark, the Vikes’ defense shut down the Trojan’s offense and limited their most dominant player.

“We definitely were able to find out their weaknesses,” Meschter said. “We found out the spaces and put it through their defensive line, because they were very spread out at some points. They were not very organized and we were able to take advantage of that.”

The boys will travel to Northwest to face the number two Northwest Jaguars Nov. 1.