Check out local holiday events

If you are looking for holiday activities in the coming few days, check out these two attractions:

Garden of Lights in Wheaton

One of the imaginative lights displays seen at the Garden of Lights in Wheaton. Courtesy of Wheaton Maryland website. Photo courtesy of montgomeryparks.org/brookside/
One of the imaginative lights displays seen at the Garden of Lights in Wheaton. Photo courtesy of montgomeryparks.org/brookside.

Driving through a neighborhood during the holiday season can seem like a festival of lights. But for those looking to take this experience to a much more extravagant level, visit the Garden of Lights in Wheaton.

The Garden of Lights is a half-mile trail through Brookside Gardens in Wheaton. The gardens are filled with over 70,000 lights that illuminate the walkways. There’s also musical entertainment from 6:30 to 8 p.m. every night.

The gardens are open until Dec. 23, and then again from Dec. 26 to Jan. 3. The walk opens at 5:30 p.m. every night and closes at 9, with the last car admitted at 8:30. Tickets are available for purchase at the gate, costing between $15 and $20 depending on the size of the party.

The “Nutcracker”

This year, take the opportunity to see teen ballerinas in the Maryland Youth Ballet’s version of the “Nutcracker.” The popular holiday performance will be put on at Montgomery College.

The Maryland Youth Ballet Company includes all ages of dancers younger than 18. While a handful of alumni participate, the performance is primarily comprised of teenagers.

The “Nutcracker” will show Dec. 18 and 23 at 7 p.m. and Dec 19., 20, 26 and 27 at 1 p.m. and 5 p.m. Shows often sell out, so go to www.montgomerycollege.edu/PAC or call 240-567-5301 to buy tickets. Tickets are also discounted when bought in advance: $25 for adults, $20 for students and seniors and $15 for children 12 and under. At the door tickets are $30 for adults, $25 for students and seniors and $20 for children 12 and under.