The “not milk” generation: How Gen Z prompted milk’s rebrand
A piece of our history: A look into the Montgomery Farm Women’s Co-operative Market
LIVE: Baseball takes on Richard Montgomery in home opener
Coach Manon achieves 200 wins and state championship in a thrilling wrestling season
Overtime Elite: A new wave of professional basketball
Proposed bill will guarantee top 10% of Maryland students to 12 Maryland universities

March 21, 2024

DC Council approves same-sex marriage law

The D.C. Council approved a bill 11-to-2 Dec.16 that will allow same-sex marriages to occur in the district. Mayor Adrian Fenty is expected to sign the bill by the end of the week and Congress will have 30 days to intervene before it becomes law.

Proponents believe it’s unlikely that the effort will be stopped in Congress, but opponents haven’t lost hope to shoot down the bill.

Other than Washington D.C., homosexual marriage is allowed in Iowa, Connecticut, Vermont and Massachusetts. New Hampshire will join the list Jan. 1 when their same-sex marriage law goes into effect.

Over the next three years, the District expects to make $5 to $22 million of revenues from same-sex wedding ceremonies, according to the Washington Post.

Earlier this year, voters in Maine passed a referendum to repeal their law that allowed same-sex marriage. New York and New Jersey’s state senate also blocked policies that would have legalized same-sex marriage.