LIVE: Boys volleyball takes on Walter Johnson

After dramatic overtime win, boys basketball 4-1

Boys basketball defeated the Richard Montgomery Rockets 61-60 in overtime, Dec 17 improving to 4-1.

Evenly matched, the score was close throughout the game, keeping both teams on their toes.

Leading at the end of the first quarter, the boys were pushed by leading scorer forward Charlie Waugh and guard Eddie Wytkind.  The Rockets made a comeback the second quarter, but with key plays by Waugh and Demetrius Cook, the Vikes came back leading 39-34 going into the fourth. Tied with a minute left in the game, the Rockets almost scored, but the Vikings held them off.

Entering overtime, the Rockets scored in the first 30 seconds, but Waugh scored with a layup in the last 3 seconds of the game, sealing the win for the Vikes.

“We boxed them out, and in the end we played great defense that helped us get the win,” Wytkind says.

With a competitive record, the Rockets are one of the toughest teams the Vikes will face this season.  This win has given them the confidence they need to continue with their current success throughout the season.

“It felt great to beat them,” center Sam Walsh says. “They’re our division rival and were picked to win 4A West.  It was a big deal to beat such a competitive team.”