Letters to the editor: is ‘Gypsy’ too provocative?

“Gypsy,” the fall musical, runs from Nov. 17 to 19. Below on the left is a letter from a parent questioning the appropriateness of the musical for a high school cast and audience, while on the left is a response from “Gypsy” director Christopher Gerken defending the choice to perform the musical.

Dear Black & White,

As a parent of two girls, I have often been dismayed over the years at the sexual suggestiveness and skimpy attire of the Whitman students appearing in the school plays. As you know, Gypsy is about a young woman who learns to be a stripper.

I am wondering why there are no students at Whitman, particularly all the young intelligent women who attend, who do not object. Clearly there must be some who realize this is the objectification of the female body, and it perpetuates what we see every day in magazines and on television.

There is also a larger problem. As a child, my parents took me to the high school plays. I loved seeing my neighbors, older girls to whom I looked as role models, in the plays. I would dream that I would someday be like them. Is Gypsy appropriate for an elementary-school girl? And if not, do we want to be producing plays that are only “appropriate” to members of the community old enough to attend an R movie?

What about the kids in tech or orchestra? Do they need to watch their classmates strip, even if it is only pretending? Does this perpetuate the objectification of the female body? And as to the girls who take these parts—why do they do it? Do they have any respect for their own bodies? Are they just so glad to get in the play and beat the competition that they will do anything?

There is no doubt that Gypsy has been a staple on Broadway and offers lots of challenges to the actors and actresses. But is a high school stage an appropriate venue for this musical? I just can’t believe there are not better plays out there.

~Anonymous

Dear Black & White,

Some might suppose that the story of the world’s most famous burlesque star is not appropriate for a high school musical, but “Gypsy” is about so much more than burlesque. Based upon the bestselling memoir “Gypsy” by Louise Hovick (AKA Gypsy Rose Lee), the musical focuses on Rose’s unrelenting dreams of stardom in the theater for her daughters and herself. When youngest daughter, June, elopes with one of the dancers from their group at the age of 13, Rose is left with the “no-talent” Louise. Instead of giving up the dream, Rose focuses all of her energies on Louise. As vaudeville slowly dies, they continue their downward spiral and eventually land in the tawdry world of burlesque. Through a series of unexpected events, Louise becomes “Gypsy Rose Lee” and finally finds her niche. She is, however, “always a lady,” doing little beyond dropping a shoulder strap and showing some leg.

Rather than a story about burlesque or stripping, “Gypsy” is about a turbulent mother-daughter relationship played out with the death of a once vibrant art form, vaudeville, as a backdrop.

Much time and energy goes into choosing a musical; the staff has to carefully balance the sophistication our students crave with what is appropriate for our general audience. “Gypsy” is a classic musical with a compelling plot, based on historical people and places, that is matched with a challenging and rewarding score. The original play was produced on Broadway in 1959 and then made into a movie in 1962. Both versions passed the strict censors of the era and were rated PG. I am confident our production will not only be entertaining but appropriate for our wide audience.

~Christopher Gerken, “Gypsy” director