LIVE: Boys volleyball takes on Walter Johnson

Ice hockey expects nothing less than perfection

The team outscored opponents 33-1 in its first three games. Photo courtesy of whitmanicehockey.com

After last season’s loss to the Wootton Patriots in the state quarterfinals, the hockey team expects to claim the state title this year with several returning starters including Zack Wolfe, Daniel Berman and Brenden Hart.

The squad has started the season 3-0, outscoring opponents 33-1. Attackers Berman, Seth Butler and Aidan Neustadtl will lead the Vikes on offense during the season. The trio scored ten goals and provided nine assists in the first two games alone.

Along with a productive offense, the team is equipped with a well-built defense, led by Wolfe, Jonathan Domingos and goalie Brenden Hart. Last season, Chris Kelly (’09), who earned All-Gazette honors, led the team’s defense, which allowed only 17 goals through the regular season. Several players have already filled the gap Kelly left and this year’s back line will be capable of shutting out teams as well with the help of Hart, who has started for all four years of his high-school career.

“This year, more than ever, we have all the tools we need to be the best,” Hart says. “Every facet of the team is strong and every player wants to win, not only by a little but by a lot.”

Captain Zack Wolfe, who received an honorable mention for the All-Gazette team last season, will likely lead the team into the playoffs where the Gazette projects it will take this year’s title. Assistant captains Nick Girard and Matt McKenna will also provide leadership for the team as well as much needed experience. Together, the three will try to focus on going all the way.

“We have improved from last year,” Wolfe says. “The competition is worse too, so it will be difficult to keep everyone focused on our goal– winning states.”

The Vikings will likely cruise through their 12-game regular season until playoffs start in February. One of the team’s toughest games will be against Wootton, who has claimed the state title the past two seasons.

Wootton has started 3-0 with 28 goals while allowing only two. However, the team has lost many starters this year, including All-State forward Dylan Skarupa. Despite this, the team still feels it is in the chase for a threepeat.

But, with seniors leading the way, the Vikings will seek revenge against the Patriots, who have won the last four meetings between the two teams.

“Every senior wants to win and the underclassmen want to win for us,” Hart says. “Every player is going to give their best effort every game. The amount of talent we have at every position will help us dominate every team we face.”

Along with returning seniors, the team has several juniors that can add energy and encourage other players.

“I’m not a captain, but as a three year varsity player I just hope to help motivate the younger players,” defender Mikey Stevens says. “Most of the teams in Montgomery County have graduated their senior play makers, whereas we are stacked with many weapons. Hopefully with most teams losing their steam, we will be given the chance to make it deep into the playoffs.”