Boys basketball expected to improve off of .500 season

With center Sam Walsh and forward Charlie Waugh leading the way, the boys basketball team looks forward to another successful season with a talented group of experienced seniors.  Guards Bryan Joel, Demetrius Cook and Ervin Cook will also make an impact this season.

Starting guard Demetrius Cook will be a strong offensive force for the Vikings this season. Photo by Michael Wertheim.

Head coach Chris Lun has set high expectations for the boys, looking to improve on the team’s 11-11 record from last season.

“We set a team goal this year of winning [4A West] and getting one of the top four seeds for playoffs,” Lun says.

The boys have worked hard to prepare for the upcoming season, holding numerous preseason workouts and weight-lifting sessions.  They’ve trained non-stop since the season ended last year, with many players shooting for up to two hours a day this fall after school. To get in some practice competing against other schools, the Vikes participated in both a summer and fall league, reaching the semifinals of the summer league.

“We’ve played in the summer league and fall league, as well as extra tournaments to build team chemistry,” Walsh says. “Individually, everybody has been working really hard all year.”

The boys have focused primarily on their defense after losing many games last year because of poor teamwork and defensive strategy.  Specifically, the team has worked on forcing opponents to shoot outside of the three-point line to decrease their chances of scoring. This improvement will help them shut down tall, high-scoring competitors like summer league champion and last year’s 4A west region runner-up, Quince Orchard.

“We have spent all of the preseason working on our half court defense,” Lun says.  “If we can buy in to the defense-first mentality, then I think it will really help us.”

The junior and senior players have also collaborated to establish a strong team dynamic.  Together, they form a cohesive and talented group of players, but still fear that individual pride may threaten their unity.

“The junior class dynamic is really strong this year, as well as the senior class,” Junior Ian Ross says.  “But if anything is going to screw up our team, it would be individual egos.”

The re-established defense, along with individual talent, will help direct the team this year. Many players predict deep playoff success and expect the team to be a top contender for the regional championship.

“We definitely have the best defense since the ’06 team,” center Ian Ross says.  “Coach has told us that this year is going to be our next shot at states.”

But that is easier said than done.  Vikes face strong teams in one of the most competitive divisions in the state, playing top-ranked schools like Richard Montgomery, Northwest and Paint Branch.  The most difficult team they will face this season is two-time defending state champion Springbrook.

“There will be a lot of tough competition this year,” Walsh says.  “Coach has given us a tough schedule throughout the season to prepare us for playoffs.”

But with a convincing win over Watkins Mill Dec. 5., the team is confident for the upcoming season.

“We shouldn’t lose a game this season,” Ross says. “There is no team we can’t beat.”

Update: The boys started their season 2-1 with wins over Bullis and Watkins Mill.