Track and field competes against Walter Johnson and Winston Churchill
Baseball triumphs over Churchill 4–6
Girls tennis defeats Churchill; boys tennis falls
Boys volleyball falls to Northwest 3–1
Clarksburg High School junior Praneel Suvarna wins 2024-2025 SMOB election
Baseball falls to Walter Johnson 6–0: losing undefeated season

“Glee” mania sings its way into students’ hearts

glee_pic
The talented cast of "Glee" has charmed viewers with its music. Photo courtesy of gleefan.net.

Every Wednesday, teenage girls (and some boys) switch on their television sets to watch the hit series that’s taking the nation by storm.  By combining cliché high school experiences with show tunes, “Glee” easily captures our attention and hearts. 

The show follows the William McKinley High School glee club and the experiences of the members as they practice and perform show choir.   

Matthew Morrison plays Will Shuester, the determined Spanish teacher and McKinley alum who takes over the club as a way to relive his own glee club glory days.  Among the members of the club are Rachel Berry (Lea Michele), a talented, melodramatic starlet and Finn Hudson (Cory Monteith) the goofy football stud, who discovers his talent for singing. 

The club has typical high school drama like love triangles, teen pregnancy and bullying along with out-of-the-ordinary behavior.  In one episode Will’s controlling wife lies about being pregnant, and solicits Finn’s pregnant girlfriend into giving up her baby. 

In another episode, Kurt Hummel (Chris Culfer) joins the football team in hopes of convincing his father that he’s not gay, even though he is.  Kurt teaches the team to distract the opponents by dancing to Beyoncé’s “All The Single Ladies,” which in turn helps them win their first game. 

Click here to watch this scene.

With 20 football players strutting on the field like Beyoncé, you can’t help but laugh.

All of this drama is set to original versions of popular songs and show tunes, ranging from “Gold Digger” by Kanye West to “Defying Gravity” from the musical “Wicked.”

The songs have become so popular that after every episode the songs are among the most wanted on itunes. 

The music and drama of “Glee” has caused quite a stir at Whitman. Walking down the halls, you can hear people talking about episodes, singing the songs and even wearing a “Gleek” (Glee Geek) t-shirt. 

Sophomore Sarah Backenstoe, a self-proclaimed Gleek, says that she likes “Glee” so much that she considers herself to be a character on the show. 

“‘Glee’ is really funny and refreshing,” Backenstoe says.  “It’s just a feel-good show.”

Junior Nikki Heimberg has the same love for the show and enjoys the choice of music. 

“It brings back music that people don’t know or necessarily like and makes it better,” Heimberg explains. 

For all the “Glee” fans who can’t get enough of the show, a tour is in the works for 2010 so that people can experience the music live.

“I can’t wait,” Heimberg says.  “I’m going to be front and center.”

Unfortunately, there are only two episodes left, so if you missed the spirit-lifting “Glee” this season, catch-up in January when it starts airing again.