MCPS cancels bus tracking pilot app
Whitman hosts first International Night since COVID-19 pandemic
Boys lacrosse annihilates Blake 18–1
Girls lacrosse demolishes Blake 17–2

Girls lacrosse demolishes Blake 17–2

Fashion Show 2011: A Black & White Affair

The auditorium stage transformed into a runway May 20 for the annual Fashion Show, held by the Fashion Society. This year’s show, with the theme “A Black & White Affair,” featured the clothing lines of 24 student designers.

Sophomore Cary Beehler takes the stage in a black and white dress, matching this year's Fashion Show theme of "A Black & White Affair." The show featured collections from 24 student designers. Photo by Wes Kendrick.

Designers mostly began working on their collections at the end of last year and spent between three to six months preparing for the show.

“I started working around Christmas time,” said senior Cristina Chiotti, whose created 12 pieces of ’60s-inspired clothing. “I started buying fabric and planning everything. I didn’t really have any last minute rush; I think I timed it pretty well.

Although the theme of the show was black and white, there was a variety of colors and styles at the show.

“All of the pieces were either black or cream, or a combination, and then ours were red,” said sophomore Talia Levinas, who worked with sophomore Ashley Azmoodeh in their second fashion show together.  “I think [the collection] was not too cute or too edgy; it was more elegant.”

While many of the designs resembled modern fashions that could be found at the mall, others were inspired by unique settings or themes.

“My inspiration was a beach,” said freshman Sarah Hoffman. “I had flowy pieces that represented the water because they were blue and I had some darker ones that I thought represented rocks. So it was a juxtaposition of structure with unstructured and flowy pieces to create an interesting tension.”

Check out the gallery below for more pictures from the show:

[nggallery id=32]