Doug Robertson: alum, artist, economist and father

More than 10 years ago, Doug Robertson (’77) attempted to draw an elephant for his 5-year-old daughter.  That first failed painting for Mariana Robertson, now a senior, inspired him to sign up for art classes and sparked a passion for painting that blossomed alongside a full-time office job and his family responsibilities.

After years of painting, Robertson displays his work in an art show at Glen Echo's Yellow Barn March 12-13. Photo courtesy Doug Robertson.

Robertson held his first solo art show at Glen Echo Park’s Yellow Barn March 13, where he displayed 45 of his most recent paintings.  He timed the show so that his daughter could see it before she went to college.

But Robertson is more than just an artist. He’s a full-time economist, and many of his friends had no idea he painted until he invited them to the show.

Despite this double life, Robertson wasn’t afraid to put his works on display for his family, friends and coworkers.

“A big part of the show is being comfortable with showing your work,” Robertson said.  “You’re really putting yourself out there — you’re exhibiting your personal work so it’s something different to share it with the public like that.”

Robertson painted different perspectives of Secretary of State Hilary Clinton. Photo courtesy Doug Robertson.
Robertson says his first audience will always be his wife, Laura Coyle, and daughter.  They give the most honest critiques, so he pays the most attention to their reactions.

Even though Mariana’s the reason he initially found his love for art, she believes his own perseverance is the reason he’s become so successful.

“I may be the reason he started, but I think he’s the reason he continued,” she said.  “I feel like a proud parent.”

Now that his show is over, Robertson hopes to start creating a new collection of paintings.  He wants to focus on landscapes rather than figures, but will continue to take painting classes in his spare time.

Mariana is extremely proud of her father and continues to support him in his endeavors.

“All his hard work has really paid off,” she said.  “I’m excited that other people can see how far he’s gotten.”