Boys soccer defeats Sherwood, advances to regional finals

Varsity boys soccer upset the number one seeded Sherwood Warriors 1-0, Nov 6, advancing to the regional final game.

Midfielder Elliot Markus scored the only goal of the game only seven minutes in. Photo courtesy of Chip Gerfen.

The Vikings came out strong with several scoring chances, including an early shot from midfielder Sebastian Cahe that bounced off of the post.

The team scored its only goal seven minutes into the game. Defender Diego Romero sent a high crossing ball to the back of Sherwood’s goal to midfielder Elliot Markus who put the ball in the back of the net with one touch.

For the remainder of the half, the boys held possession well and worked around holding midfielder Dominick Yin. The defense held strong with strong play from Aaron May and goalie Zack Khalifa.

The boys continued to have chances at the goal in the second half, including shots from midfielder Jonny Mehrez that almost found their way past Sherwood’s goalie.

The Warriors could not produce any goals against the Viking defense, which has only allowed one goal in the past three playoff games.

The game ended 1-0 as the boys stormed the field in celebration.

The team will play BCC in the regional finals on Nov 10 at Richard Montgomery. The Barons defeated the Vikes 3-2 in the regular season in a tight match that could have gone either way.