Gay-Straight Alliance reemerges at Whitman with strong support

For teens struggling with their sexuality, the Gay Straight Alliance is committed to creating a supportive and sympathetic environment.

Members of the GSA participated in a Day of Silence last year to bring attention to LGBT bullying. Photo courtesy Clara McCreery.

Under the leadership of senior co-presidents Clara McCreery and Michael Nguyen-Mason, the club has become a venue for participants to share their coming out stories and experiences.

The GSA began four years ago. For the first two years, it was a popular activity with 30-40 active members, but last year it never got off the ground, teacher sponsor Terry Alvey said.

“This year, Clara and Michael have really gotten the numbers up,” Alvey said. “The club is very kid-driven.”

At their weekly Thursday meetings, the club usually focuses on a discussion topic, like coming out.

“It’s easy to come out to your friends, but if you don’t have family support, it can be really hard,” junior Omid Vatandoost said. “It’s cool to feel like you have a good support group at school that lets you get connected.”

Other weeks, the club talks about relevant current events, like the repeal of Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell.

Although the club supports gay rights, vice president Elena Aragon said the club is apolitical.

“The club is meant to build a community for gays to feel comfortable,” she said. “It’s not about politics, it’s about support.”

In addition to acting as a support group for LGBT teens, the GSA has hosted several movie nights this year with as many as 50 people in attendance. These events are potluck-style and typically have a higher attendance than their regular meetings.

McCreery said her favorite part of working with the club has been planning school events with the school. On National Coming Out Day, for example, the GSA handed out white ribbons for straight students and rainbow ribbons for LGBT students who wanted to show their solidarity with the LGBT community.

“It was really cool seeing everybody come out and show their support,” McCreery said.

GSA members said they hope the club will continue to be a safe haven for students struggling with their sexuality.

“In past years, people have been pretty quiet about their sexuality,” Aragon said. “Hopefully, this will bring it to their attention and get people talking.”