Boys lacrosse dominates Poolesville 18–3
Softball survives Seneca Valley 9-7
Girls lacrosse crushes Poolesville 19–4
Fashion isn’t just clothes: It’s a canvas

Shedding some light on Diwali

Diyas are lit and placed around the house on Diwali to symbolize light and happiness. Photo by Nikhil Gupta.

The smell of burning incense fills the room as my mom lights twenty one candles. Soon, the sound of our religious prayers ring throughout the house.

I anticipate the taste of sugary sweets and desserts that are already spread out on platters across the floor. For many, today is just another Saturday spent with friends or in front of the TV, but to my family and to Indians all over the world, this is one of the most important days of the year.

Diwali, known as the festival of lights, celebrates triumph of good over evil. Think Hanukkah for Indian people, but remove chocolate coins and latkas, and insert curry and samosas. In Hindu mythology, the deity Lord Rama defeated the evil demon Ravana and returned home on this day. As he and his men marched from the lower coast of India to their home city in the North, townspeople lit lanterns to guide them. These lights, called diyas, symbolize hope and happiness, and are now used in Diwali festivities and prayers.

Diwali is also the Indian New Year, representing a fresh, clean start. Families clean out their houses and spend time together, while businesses close their accounting books and pray to Lakshmi, goddess of wealth and prosperity, thanking her for the benefits of the past year and praying for a fruitful year to come.

During the weeks before and after the holiday, Indians attend numerous social gatherings where they exchange sweets, sing and dance and feast on traditional Indian dishes.

Temples and cultural groups also host festivals, known as melas. Every year, once the sports fans clear out, a large Diwali mela is held at the Rockville Sportsplex. The mela features food, free shows throughout the day, vendor booths and a fireworks show at the end of the night. And all the pirated Bollywood movies you could ever want (sorry guys, Slumdog Millionaire is sold out).

But festivals and parties in the United States pale in comparison to the celebrations that occur all over India for the New Year.

“The whole country is festive and everyone’s in a holiday mood, much like Christmas here,” says senior Divya Malkani. “You hear fireworks every night, and every house is lit with lamps and lanterns.”

Malkani, who moved here from India at the beginning of seventh grade, says that she misses the “festive atmosphere” in India around this time. But she noticed that Indians in the US have not let the customs and values of Diwali die out.

“Despite being so far from home, all the Indians here still get into the Diwali spirit and follow many of the traditions,” Malkani said.  “This year even President Obama lit a diya.”