Athlete of the month: Claire Hisle sprints to top MCPS scorer

Hisle celebrates a goal against Sherwood. She currently leads the county in goals scored. Photo by Jefferson Luo.

By Joey Squeri

At the start of this season, the field hockey team hadn’t beaten B-CC in 15 years. That streak came to an end Oct. 14 when forward Claire Hisle carried the Vikes to a 32 victory over the Barons.

Hisle, the team’s leading scorer, has excelled during the month of October, scoring five of her total 11 goals in five games. She finished the regular season as the team’s and Montgomery County’s leading scorer. She also leads the team with three multi-goal games.

The forward’s most recent multi-goal game was against B-CC; her second goal broke a late 22 tie and secured the victory for the Vikes.

“It meant so much to everybody since it’s been 15 years,” Hisle said. “It was great to finally beat them.”

Hisle’s scoring streak began in an early October game versus Blair when she scored the game-sealing goal in a 20 victory.  Since then, her offense has helped lead the Vikes to a 32 month and a second-place finish in the 4A South division.

Hisle’s success has been a result of her awareness and tenacious playing style, forward Zara Memon said.

“Claire is really aggressive on the field which allows her to get in front of her defender to tip it in the goal,” Memon said. “She and I kind of tag-team, where I will hit from the top of the circle, and then she deflects it past the goalie.”

Although she’s a prolific scorer, Hisle’s hustle and team-first mindset are what head coach Allie Skiest praises more than anything else.

Claire Hisle is the definition of a fearless player

— Allie Skiest

“Claire Hisle is the definition of a fearless player,” Skiest said. “She sprints to every ball, gets back to mark up and most importantly, she supports her teammates. She is willing to do whatever is needed to take the field against any opponent.”