Baseball triumphs over Churchill 4–6
Girls tennis defeats Churchill; boys tennis falls
Boys volleyball falls to Northwest 3–1
Clarksburg High School junior Praneel Suvarna wins 2024-2025 SMOB election
Baseball falls to Walter Johnson 6–0: losing undefeated season
Boys lacrosse dominates Poolesville 18–3

A blast from the past: commemorating Back to the Future day

“Roads? Where we’re going, we don’t need roads.” 

These infamous words ended the 1985 sci-fi classic “Back to the Future” and set up its equally famed sequel “Back to the Future Part II,” where protagonist Marty McFly time travels 30 years into the future to today, October 21, 2015.

The movie captured the imagination of millions with its depiction of the year 2015, where flying cars, hoverboards and self-tying shoes are part of everyday life. While not every one of the writers Robert Zemeckis and Bob Gale’s predictions about 2015 were spot-on, some were pretty close.

Fingerprint scanners—spot on:

Most homes in Hill Valley, the town the movie took place in, are equipped with fingerprint scanners instead of locks to the homes. People in the film used the scanners to pay for cabs and confirm their identities to access personal files. Here the film’s predictions were spot on. Today we use biometric scans as both a security measure and to confirm a person’s ID. The film also predicted that use of biometric IDs would also create a new front for identity theft.

Drones—close:

In Back to the Future Part II, news organizations use drones to record footage and images. Personal drones were also available for sale in the film and are seen walking dogs.

While drones may not be used to walk dogs today, the government and news organizations both use drones. Drones are also available for sale to the public, but use is limited due to the high price tag and regulations.

Hoverboards—almost there:

In one of the film’s most famous scenes, protagonist Marty McFly hovers away from his pursuers on a Mattel Hoverboard. The hoverboards in the film appear similar to skateboards, and can be found under the soles of most teenager’s shoes in the film.

This August, Lexus revealed Slide—the first hoverboard capable of operating on land.

Slide is still in the prototype phase and it doesn’t look likely that it will hit the markets anytime soon. The hoverboard has to operate on a magnetic track and needs to be filled with liquid nitrogen after approximately every ten minutes of ‘hover time.’

Fashion—not so much:

The writers of Back to the Future Part II predicted that 2015 fashion trends would include self-drying and fitting shirts and self-tying shoes.

None of those predictions proved to become fashion trends. However, Nike did produce a single pair of self-tying shoes that they shipped yesterday to Michael J. Fox, the actor who played Marty McFly.

Jaws 19—thankfully not:

In another memorable scene, when Marty McFly first steps into the streets of 2015 Hill Valley, a 3D projection of shark pops out at him in an ad for Jaws 19.

Luckily, Universal Studios dropped any production of another Jaws movie after the unsuccessful release of the third film in 1987. In honor of Back to the Future Day, at the beginning of October Universal released a spoof trailer joking about release of Jaws 19.

Cubs 2015 World Series Champions—maybe:

In perhaps the boldest prediction of the film, the writers predicted that in 2015, the Cubs would win the world series for the first time in 107 years.

Today the Cubs play in game four of the NLCS. Although they’re a game away from elimination, the Cubs still have a chance to fulfill the prediction.