MCPS chief operating officer Larry Bowers to replace Joshua Starr as superintendent, effective Feb. 16

Superintendent Joshua Starr announced in a press conference Feb. 3 that he will not finish his four-year contract. Starr’s resignation is effective Feb. 16, nearly five months before his four-year contract expires July 1.

MCPS chief operating officer Larry A. Bowers will replace Starr as interim Superintendent.

Starr’s resignation is effective Feb. 16. The Board of Education held a press conference today to announce the decision made in the Board meeting earlier that morning. Photo by Margot Dionne.

“It has been an honor and a privilege,” Starr said. “As for the future, I will certainly continue my work in public education.”

In the weeks leading up to the announcement, the Board of Education had been deliberating Starr’s future after doubts arose about his commitment to MCPS.

“After much discussion, the Board and Dr. Starr agreed it would be in the best interest of the district to appoint a new leader to carry forward the board’s vision,” Board president Patricia O’Neill said at the press conference. “We wish him nothing but the best in the future.”

In Starr’s three-and-a-half years at MCPS, he concentrated effort towards closing the achievement gap and offering individualized assistance to schools. He acknowledged his support and admiration for MCPS students.

“I say all the time ‘our kids are awesome’ and you will continue to be awesome regardless of whether or not I’m superintendent of schools,” Starr said at the press conference.

The Board has requested approval from Maryland Superintendent Lillian Lowery for Bowers’ appointment.

“He knows the system inside and out and I can think of no one who is more suited to provide the stable, even-handed leadership we need in this time of transition,” O’Neill said.

The county has set a tight deadline of July 1 to have a new superintendent in place. Starr will still be financially compensated as if he had served the full term.

Video by Naba Khan.