MCPS cancels bus tracking pilot app
Whitman hosts first International Night since COVID-19 pandemic
Boys lacrosse annihilates Blake 18–1
Girls lacrosse demolishes Blake 17–2

Girls lacrosse demolishes Blake 17–2

Ravens have skill, historical success to fly to Super Bowl XLIX

Little did you know that the Ravens are perhaps this year’s AFC team bound to make a deep run in the playoffs. That’s right, I said it—the lowest seeded team in the playoffs just might have what it takes to win it all. Based on this season’s performance and the Ravens’ history of playoff success, I wouldn’t be surprised to see them playing in Glendale this February.

Led by their former Super Bowl-MVP quarterback Joe Flacco, the Ravens offense has never looked better. Steve Smith’s veteran presence along with deep threat Torrey Smith and the surprising yet solid play of tight-ends Owen Daniels and Crockett Gillmore has given Flacco the necessary weapons to hold his own in a shootout with the best offenses in the league.

In addition to high-powered skill players, the Ravens possess an offensive line led by pro-bowler Marshall Yanda that has stifled defenses and can create giant holes for promising running back Justin Forsett.

On the other side of the ball, the pass-rush for the Ravens has consistently been one of the best in the league. Terrell Suggs and Elvis Dumervil have combined for 29 sacks on the season.

The team also has a youthful linebacking core that seems experienced beyond its years. Rookie pro-bowler C.J. Mosely leads the team in tackles and sets the tone for the defense at middle linebacker.

Aside from these obvious reasons why the Ravens could make a run to the Super Bowl, history is also on the Ravens’ side.

With his win over the Pittsburgh Steelers in the wild-card round, Joe Flacco has won a playoff game in six out of the seven seasons he has been in the league. He is now 10-4 in the playoffs, an outstanding record that puts him in the conversation as one of the best at the quarterback position.

Ultimately, the Ravens stifled the number two offense in the league in the Steelers and dominated an overall stellar team.

The birds now head to New England to face the Patriots, a team that Joe Flacco has beaten twice on the road in the playoffs before. If things go to plan and history repeats, the Denver Broncos will prove to be the Ravens’ biggest test.

However, in the Ravens’ Super Bowl run two years ago, Flacco led the team to a comeback overtime win over Peyton Manning. This team is more youthful and just as talented as the team that won it all in 2013, so don’t be surprised if the team is there again two years later.

History points to the Ravens having success. Remember what happened last time they limped into the playoffs at 10-6? I’ll bet good money that Bill Belichick and John Fox do.