The “not milk” generation: How Gen Z prompted milk’s rebrand
A piece of our history: A look into the Montgomery Farm Women’s Co-operative Market
LIVE: Baseball takes on Richard Montgomery in home opener
Coach Manon achieves 200 wins and state championship in a thrilling wrestling season
Overtime Elite: A new wave of professional basketball
Proposed bill will guarantee top 10% of Maryland students to 12 Maryland universities

March 21, 2024

Wrestlers finish 3rd, 5th in state tournament

Sophomore Mitch Fenton and senior Max Sessions finished their seasons on a high note, finishing third and fifth respectively at the Maryland 4A/3A state wrestling tournament on Saturday.

The tournament had a double elimination format with a consolation bracket for any wrestlers who lost before the finals.

Their success in the state tournament followed dominant showings in the regional tournament the weekend before. There, Fenton followed up his first County championship with his second region championship in two years, while Sessions finished second.

In the 132-pound weight class, Fenton won his first two bouts before losing in the semifinals. He then won

Sophomore Mitch Fenton works for back points on BCC's Aryan Manglik at the 4A/3A region tournament. Fenton placed first in the region, and 3rd in the state at 132 lbs. Photo courtesy Bonnie Sharbaugh.
Sophomore Mitch Fenton works for back points on BCC’s Aryan Manglik at the 4A/3A region tournament. Fenton placed first in the region, and 3rd in the state at 132 lbs. Photo courtesy Bonnie Sharbaugh.

the consolation bracket, finishing third in the tournament. Fenton pulled out several close matches throughout the tournament, winning twice in overtime and beating the same wrestler (Franklin senior Nick Montanye) in two tight matches.

Fenton was 34-4 throughout the season, leading the team in wins.

Similar to Fenton, Sessions won his first two matches and reached the semifinals, winning by 5-3 and 1-0 respectively. His first loss came in the semifinals of the regular bracket to Roosevelt’s Casey Wokocha. Sessions went on to win the fifth place tiebreaker by forfeit after losing in the semifinals of the consolation bracket.