LIVE: Boys volleyball takes on Walter Johnson

SGA hosts 5th annual Guy Auction to benefit Leukemia & Lymphoma Society

Whoever said “money can’t buy happiness” probably didn’t buy a date at Wednesday’s 5th annual Guy Auction.

Senior Kourosh Ashtary-Yazdi flaunts his skiing skills on stage. Ashtary-Yazdi, Jorge Richardson and Simon Amat auctioned off a ski trip for $600 Wednesday night.
Senior Kourosh Ashtary-Yazdi flaunts his skiing skills on stage. Ashtary-Yazdi, Jorge Richardson and Simon Amat auctioned off a ski trip for $600 Wednesday night. Photo by Abby Cutler.

This year’s auction took place Wednesday night in the auditorium. Potential buyers could choose from an array of 17 dates, ranging from contra dancing with senior Robert Christian to laser tagging with juniors Aaron Tannenbaum, Caleb Kushner, Colin Hains and Zach Judson.

Seniors Elizabeth Meyer and Jenna Kantor, the hosts of the event, announced the dates and organized the bidding. All proceeds including the $5 admission fee and money spent on dates will be donated to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.

Senior Maisy Deans, head of the Guy Auction committee, said she was pleased with how the event turned out.

“I think it went really well—it was a lot more successful than I thought it was going to be, which is really exciting,” she said. “My favorite part was hearing all the date ideas. They were so creative and that’s really fun.”

Seniors Jeff Marr, Harrison Holt and Grant Payette (left to right) perform yoga poses while scantily clad in tight pants and sleeveless shirts. The three seniors earned $750 for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society for a date to hot yoga and lunch. Photo by Abby Cutler.

As girls bid competitively for each group of boys, the boys performed various skits advertising their date.

Seniors Harrison Holt, Grant Payette and Jeff Marr, who plan to take three ladies to hot yoga and lunch, sported colorful yoga pants and tank tops while striking a seductive tree pose. The group sold for $750, the most expensive date of the evening.

Another crowd favorite was seniors Simon Amat, Kourosh Ashtary-Yadzi and Jorge Richardson who advertised a skiing or snowboarding date by skiing down the aisles of the auditorium.

Senior Abraar Ahmad said that although he was a little nervous beforehand, he enjoyed being in the auction.

Seniors Abraar Ahmad and Ali Bell fool around on stage. The two offered a trip to trampoline gym Rebounderz, which sold for $400. Photo by Abby Cutler.

“Definitely watching the other guys do their skits got me really hyped to go on stage,” he said. “Getting out there and people wooing at us was pretty fun.”

Ahmad and his co-date senior Ali Bell sold for $400 for a date to indoor trampoline gym Rebounderz.

Senior Rolanda Wang went to the event not because she planned to bid on any boys, but because she enjoyed just watching. She described the show as “chaotic, but in a good way.”

Seniors Andrew Barth, Drew Aherne, Jack Storey and Lucas Schoch, who ended up selling for $415, had one of the most dramatic bidding processes of the night. At one point the crowd chanted “sophomores, sophomores!” to encourage a bidding war between a group of sophomore girls and a group of junior girls. For their skit, the boys played beach volleyball on stage and threw bananas into the crowd.

Seniors Lucas Schoch, Jack Storey, Drew Aherne and Andrew Barth (left to right) auction off their weekend beach trip. The bidding got hectic as a group of sophomore girls battled against one of junior girls, ultimately resulting in a $415 sale. Photo by Abby Cutler.

Payette said his favorite part about being in such an amusing auction was the reactions from the audience as he and his group advertised their hot yoga date. He said he enjoyed contributing to such a charitable event.

“It feels pretty good,” he said. “I mean $750 is a lot of money and it’s going to cancer, so it’s a good cause.”