Starbucks alternatives: Bethesda’s best coffee shops

There are over 5,500 Starbucks coffee shops in more than 50 countries worldwide, and the average student can probably rattle off at least 10 menu items. But if you’re bored of the usual Pike Place Roast, caramel macchiato or mocha Frappucino and feel like embracing your inner hipster, here’s a list of other places nearby to buy a quality cup of joe.

Tout de Sweet Pastry Shop—7831 Woodmont Ave.

This petite bakery is located down the street from the Tastee Diner. While it specializes in delectable macarons, cupcakes, tarts and pastries, it also serves a variety of hot and cold drinks to go with their baked goods. Their caramel lattes are delicious, but even a simple café au lait is a great pick. There’s not a lot of seating, so this shop is better for grabbing a quick, quality cup of coffee.

Dolcezza Artisinal Gelato—7111 Bethesda Ln.

Though it’s a high-end gelato store, Dolcezza also serves delicious coffee, espresso and hot chocolate. Their strong coffee and espresso are poured right before your eyes and served with a small pitcher of your choice of milk. Be aware that the prices here are higher than average. This Argentine store is also roomier than it looks on the outside, and it will surely transport you to the streets of Buenos Aires.

Le Pain Quotidien—7140 Bethesda Ln.

This chain eatery, originally from Belgium, is an ideal spot for breakfast, lunch or an afternoon cup of coffee. They serve a very small variety of coffees and teas, so don’t expect a fancy caramel macchiato. However, they have great cappuccino and Belgian hot chocolate, and their wooden communal tables are perfect for meals with friends or even weekday afternoon study sessions.

Baked and Wired—1052 Thomas Jefferson St. NW

While best known for its decadent baked goods, this shop’s coffee and tea bar is worth a visit. The coffee menu is fairly basic, whereas their tea menu offers a wide variety of black, green, white, oolong and herbal varieties, served iced or hot. The shop is usually pretty crowded, so don’t plan on sitting inside. In warmer temperatures, this is the perfect place to grab a treat and a drink as you stroll through Georgetown or sit on the waterfront steps.

The Blind Dog Café—944 Florida Ave. NW

The Blind Dog Café is a sandwich shop and café that serves local food and coffee. The cozy atmosphere feels like your own living room, and the free Wifi makes this shop even homier. The Washington Post praised the shop’s “above-par coffeehouse food,” consisting of breakfast staples, sandwiches, soups, salads, baked goods and a variety of coffee drinks. Yelp reviewers love its flavorful lattes and cappuccinos, as well as its chocolate chip cookies.

Saxby’s—3500 O St. NW

With four locations in D.C. and several more throughout the East Coast and Texas, Saxby’s is on the rise. Its O St. location, a few blocks from Georgetown University, is a picturesque college coffee shop—there are always students, studying or just hanging out. Their menu is extensive, offering a variety of coffee and tea drinks, along with frozen yogurt and other treats. Saxby’s offers the usual espresso drinks and Frappucino alternatives, like their specialty Chocolate Monkey and Nutty Irishman.

Quartermaine Coffee Roasters—4817 Bethesda Ave.

For a freshly roasted, flavorful cup of coffee, look no further than Quartermaine, which was voted best non-chain coffee shop in Bethesda by Bethesda Magizine in 2008. This shop offers a vast array of coffee and tea varieties in store or by mail order, as well as espresso drinks, juices and baked goods on site. Their location in the heart of downtown Bethesda is the perfect stop for a boost before tackling any Saturday morning errands.