Girls basketball loses at the buzzer to defending state champions Gaithersburg

The girls basketball team suffered a heartbreaking loss at the buzzer to the 13-4 Gaithersburg Trojans, with a final score of 49-47. The Vikes’ record stands at 15-4.

Guard Kim Durante looks for a pass against her Gaithersburg defender. Photo by Billy Bird.

Forward Avery Witt started out the game with a nice drive to the basket, and the Vikes handled the ball well in the first half.

Guard Kim Durante dominated the first quarter. She sank three three-pointers in a row, two assisted by guard Maddie Cannon and one by forward Dani Okon off an offensive rebound.

In the second quarter, guard Marissa Cannon dived to the floor to snatch up the ball on defense for a turnover. She dribbled to the offensive side and, surrounded by Trojans, dished the ball to guard Nicole Fleck for an easy layup. The Vikes led 32-19 at the end of the half.

The Vikes slowed it down in the second half, and in the fourth quarter the Trojans began to catch up by increasing their aggression on court.

The Vikes’ lead dwindled to a 47-47 tie with 35 seconds left in the game. The Trojans gained a last possession and shot a jump shot with one remaining second to spare, winning the game.

The Vikes will travel to face the 8-11 Blair Blazers Feb. 12.