Senior Simone Levine finishes in top ten at Shakespeare regional competition

By Julia Berard

Senior Simone Levine transformed into the enraged Hermia from “A Midsummer Night’s Dream” to place in the top ten finalists at the English Speaking Union Shakespeare regional competition March 5 at the D.C.’s Lansburgh Theater.

Both Levine and freshmen Talia Brenner competed at the regional level after winning the school round Feb. 22.

Levine, a co-president of the Shakespeare Club, said she was shocked when she was chosen as a finalist among such talented performers.

“I’m very proud of my performance and was so pleased with the results,” she said. “It couldn’t have turned out better. The winners clearly deserved it.”

After reciting their monologues, contestants had the chance to participate in workshops to learn how to represent character motives and use body movements while acting. Later in the day, Casey Kaleba, the fight choreographer for the Shakespeare Theater Company, also led a workshop.

Brenner said she will use the skills she learned from the workshops in other Shakespeare competitions and in acting.

“Most of the participating students have theater experience, so the workshops improved and polished skills,” she said. “Overall, it was a wonderful experience, and I plan to do it again next year.”