Wrestling defeats Watkins Mill, 54-17

The wrestling team dominated the Watkins Mill Wolverines, 54-17, on its senior night, improving its record to 6-5.

145 lb. Kevin Whitmeyer faces off against his opponent in the first match of the meet. Photo by Abigail Cutler.

The match began by honoring the eight graduating seniors. Coach Derek Manon read a small piece about each wrestler to the proud parents and supporting crowd. The team’s seniors included Alex Gerstenfield, Abby Fisher, Lucas Roldos, Kevin Whitmeyer, Andrei Mino, Rafi Sayada, Bradley Taylor and Josh Daryoush.

Immediately following the ceremony, 145 lb. Whitmeyer came out fired up and pinned his opponent in 2:40 after controlling the pace of the entire bout.

152 lb. Jack Calder eventually lost to his opponent in three periods, despite coming back from a 3-0 deficit. In the last seven seconds of the bout, Calder stood up and rolled but the Watkins Mill wrestler followed well and managed to hold him off.

After a hard fought battle with his opponent and lots of blood time, 160 lb. Andrew Cullinane won his bout 3-1.

In his last home match, 172 lb. Sayada showed perseverance and determination, and ended up winning his bout 1-0. Jacob Shiman, wrestling at 195 lb. instead of his usual 220 lb., won by fall in the last second of the first period. 113 lb. Will Baker also recorded a fall, pinning in 4:25

138 lb. Roldos, 220 lb. Rafi Weissman, heavyweight Daryoush, 120 lb. Jacob Cutler and 126 lb. Caleb Kushner all won by forfeit.

The team hopes to extend its win streak when it travels to Walter Johnson to face the Wildcats and the B-CC Barons in its last meet Feb. 4 at 1:00 p.m.

[nggallery id=76]