Wrestling slips in tri-meet, loses to Springbrook and Clarksburg

The wrestling team fell to the Springbrook Blue Devils, 66-5, and the Clarksburg Coyotes, 40-37, during a tri-meet Jan. 23, lowering its record to 5-5.

138 lb. Lucas Roldos attempts to pin his opponent during a 40-37 loss to the Clarksburg Coyotes. Photo courtesy of Richard Leighton.

In the first match against Springbrook, the team couldn’t overcome quick losses and was only able to win one bout, with 160 lb. Rafi Sayada claiming the Vikes’ sole win.

The second match was closer, with the Coyotes and the Vikes constantly trading the lead. 106 lb. Stephen Sharbough, 120 lb. Jacob Cutler, 138 lb. Lucas Roldos, 145 lb. Kevin Whitmeyer, 152 lb. Jack Calder, 170 lb. Rafi Sayada and 182 lb. Bradley Taylor all won their bouts.  In fact, the team would have won the match but the Vikes were forced to forfeit two bouts due to injuries and other breaches in the lineup.

Nursing injuries were 195 lb. Max Sessions and 126 lb. Aidan Leighton, who remain sidelined with a broken leg and an injured elbow, respectively. Heavyweight captain Josh Daryoush couldn’t compete in the tri-meet because he was on a trip, but he will compete in next match.

“This week was kind of tough because we were missing a lot of people—a lot of injuries and we didn’t have Josh, our heavyweight,” Taylor said. “We’ll do a lot better next week if we work hard in the room and really focus on winning instead of just coasting through the season.”

The team hopes to rebound from the losses when it travels to face the Magruder Colonels Jan. 25 at 6.