The “not milk” generation: How Gen Z prompted milk’s rebrand
A piece of our history: A look into the Montgomery Farm Women’s Co-operative Market
LIVE: Baseball takes on Richard Montgomery in home opener
Coach Manon achieves 200 wins and state championship in a thrilling wrestling season
Overtime Elite: A new wave of professional basketball
Proposed bill will guarantee top 10% of Maryland students to 12 Maryland universities

March 21, 2024

Police issue arrest warrant for Bethesda shooter

Mohau Mercy Mathibe was an entry-level economist for the IMF but was not retained. Co-workers described him as socially awkward and possibly angry at Mody for not continuing his employment. Photo courtesy of the Montgomery County police.

Montgomery County police detectives obtained an arrest warrant Dec. 17 to charge Mohau Mercy Mathibe for the Oct. 8 attempted murder of Whitman parent Ashoka Mody. The detectives also obtained a warrant for first-degree assault and use of a handgun in the commission of a felony.

Mathibe, 36 years old, was a worker for Mody at the International Monetary Fund and used to live in Arlington, Virginia. Federal authorities visited him Nov. 21 for questioning about the incident with his former supervisor. The next day Mathibe bought a round-trip ticket to China, where he’s suspected to be.

“The initial fear was that the attack was some version of economic terrorism and these guys were trying to interrupt the economy by shooting Mody,” said Daniel Friz, a county police public information officer. “It turns out that the men had a riff going on and Mathibe was ticked off.”

Detectives obtained the arrest warrant after conducting investigations and interviews with neighbors and witnesses. Police continue to offer up to $36,000 for information about the shooting. To date, there is no international man hunt planned to find Mathibe.

Mody continues to recover from the injuries in his home at the 6800 block of Millwood Road.

To read more about this story click here.