MCPS cancels bus tracking pilot app
Whitman hosts first International Night since COVID-19 pandemic
Boys lacrosse annihilates Blake 18–1

Boys lacrosse annihilates Blake 18–1

Last day in Korea

Photo by Alap Patel.
The Coex mall had touch-screen, digital maps. Photo by Alap Patel.

We already visited the traditional and political sites of Korea-our visits to the DMZ and then a large Buddhist temple were quite enlightening. But today,  a few debaters from the Korean team took us to see a much more teen-friendly part of Korean culture: commercialism and technology.

We got to spend the evening at the Coex mall, the largest and most technologically advanced mall I have ever walked around in (although DC during the inauguration comes close to it). The walls were covered with LED light shows and moving billboards, and each part of the mall was lit a different color. And of course, the mall offered the widest variety of shops one could hope for. One moment we were in a traditional Korean souvenir shop, and five minutes later we were in the Hello Kitty Superstore. Yeah. That’s right. I went there.

Two debaters sing to karoke on the last night of the workshop. Photo by Alap Patel.

But my favorite feature of the commercial hub had to be the digital directories scattered around the mall, taking the question “what store are you looking for?” to a whole new level. These were not just your run-of-the-mill, cheap paper maps behind a glass screen. These directories were interactive, touch-screen maps, which showed you your position on a digital screen. You could search through the list, choose your store and find exactly where it was in relation to you. On the wrong floor? Not a problem. With one swooping finger movement, the mall floorplans could switch between floors, expanding and contracting until you find your final destination. If that’s not cool, you had the option between four different languages.

Even our native new friends needed to use the digital directory to find the stores they wanted to show us. While it may seem like malls are reserved for teenagers and young couples, certain shops and activities are a big part of Korean culture for young and old alike. The first place they showed us was a “board game café,” where families and friends go to rent board games and a comfy area to play them by the hour. But the board game café was nothing compared to what came next: karaoke bar. Karaoke is one of the most popular activities, especially for couples and close friends. Customers get their own soundproof room, two tamborines, two microphones and a big book of songs, ranging from classics like the Sound of Music to fairly new songs like T-Pain’s “Low.” And we sang them all. Yes we looked like dorks and the glass was on the verge of shattering, but it was a blast!

Korea was definitely an experience of a lifetime. From the DMZ to mega TVs, the nation certainly has a lot to offer!