Clarksburg High School junior Praneel Suvarna wins 2024-2025 SMOB election
Baseball falls to Walter Johnson 6–0: losing undefeated season
Boys lacrosse dominates Poolesville 18–3
Softball survives Seneca Valley 9-7
Girls lacrosse crushes Poolesville 19–4
Fashion isn’t just clothes: It’s a canvas

Westboro is back for protests

Westboro protested at BCC today. Photo by Sarah Klotz.

They’re back. The Westboro Baptist Church, the radical protest group from Topeka, Kansas that picketed Whittier Blvd. this past May, is at it again.

Westboro Baptist Church leader Fred Phelps, who also runs the controversial websites “Priests rape boys,” “Jews killed Jesus” and “Antichrist Obama,” kicked off a new season of peaceful demonstrations at Sidwell Friends upper school in Washington, D.C. Nov. 9.

The group has continued their protest tour, making stops at Wilson and Bethesda Chevy-Chase high school, the Marriott Hotel at Wardman Park, the Dept. of Education, the D.C. Field Office and the White House.

Their full picket schedule is prominently featured on their website godhatesfags.com.

While Sidwell Friends upper school principal Ellis Turner said he’s appalled that WBC protested at his school, he’s not surprised.

“They’re hateful people,” Turner said. “We held a counter protest, standing there with some signs. We didn’t give them all the attention they were looking for.”

Westboro Baptist Church members cite religious reasons for targeting Sidwell, according to their site.

“So, the Quakers are in favor of abortion, now?” their site boasts. “How is that nonviolent? Anything to keep the money rolling in, huh hypocrites?”

Sidwell junior Rachel Gray, who attended the counter protest, said she had mixed feelings.

“The church members were across the street from us singing their terrible little songs,” she said.

Gray originally had no intentions of attending the counter protest, but changed her mind prior to their arrival.

“[Our protest] was actually very productive,” she said. “They’re all so ridiculous. We can’t let them think they can get away with this kind of stuff.”

The church protested at BCC today because its administrators allowed a Gay Straight Alliance club.

BCC senior Shoshanna Erlich made signs and organized part of her school’s counter protest.

“We definitely made an impact,” she said. “There ended up being about 150 of us. We recited the pledge of allegiance; it sent out a good message.”

WBC claims that BCC parents lie to their children.

“WBC will be on hand to address your children on the fact that you adults have lied to them for all their young lives,” states a post on their website. “That Antichrist is taking away their ‘future’ and god is soon returning so this is the last generation of a doomed America.”

Protest after protest, this activist group doesn’t seem to be slowing down.