Eminem and Mariah’s war of words escalates

*By Julia Dane*

Photo courtesy of streetwizehiphop.com
Photo courtesy of streetwizehiphop.com

Rapper Eminem has never censored the words that come out of his mouth before, and he definitely isn’t doing it now.

Notorious for bashing celebrities and causing controversy through rhyme on his albums, Eminem seems to have found a new victim: singer Mariah Carey.

The rapper released the single “The Warning” on July 30. The raunchy song drops Carey’s name countless times while discussing the supposed affair the two had in 2001 in explicit detail. The track came in response to Carey’s single “Obsessed,” on which she denies any relationship with Eminem.

The feud between the two music stars first heated up in May when Eminem released his album Relapse after a four-year hiatus. The album features “Bagpipes for Baghdad,” a song that seemed to put some truth into the affair. He asks, “Mariah, whatever happened to us?/ Why did we break up?” In response, Carey then released “Obsessed” on July 6 accompanied by a music video that shows her dressed up as Slim-Shady. And that brings us to “The Warning.”

“The Warning” is appropriately titled. The lyrics in the song make it clear to the public that Eminem is not happy with Carey’s denial of a past physical relationship. He speaks directly to Carey when he says, “You probably think since it’s been so long if I had something on you I woulda did it by now/ On the contrary, Mary Poppins, I’m mixing our studio session down and sending it to mastering to make it loud/ Enough dirt on you to murder you.”

With lyrics like those, it’s evident the fight is nowhere near the end. Instead, the world will just have to wait for the next punch to be thrown.